Driveway gates have always been the reason behind someone’s motivation for house safety, decoration, or luxury. It is essential to a driveway gate at your home to protect your family members and especially your pets and children, to keep them in control.
Most of the time, people don’t spend time thinking about the materials they are going to use, how it should be operated, how it should be opened and closed with ease and its overall design. People often call special guys to install a new driveway gate when their property is not considered safe.
Building the driveway gate is a big project that requires advanced woodworking skills and some patience because you may or may not make it best in a single go. So if you’re going to do this project, you have to have the required skillset. We would not recommend taking on such a project if you’re only a beginner and not experiences in such activities.
Before starting to cut the wood, you need to make sure you plan your design from scratch and have the blueprint ready. Consider the following:
- The shape of your driveway can be- Are there any slopes, holes, or raised ground or mildewed wood? Consider the obstacles the gate will have when opening and closing. You may need to build a raised and right-sized gate to overcome them.
- The gate’s width and the distance of the columns and their height needs to be adequately measured to avoid future difficulties.
- The materials you will need (the kind of wood) or the respective material should be of good quality.
What is the Best Wood for a Driveway Gate?
The wood you use has to be durable enough to withstand the weather as it will be used outside; it should not stale easily; otherwise, it will spoil as soon it comes in contact with water. These are the types of wood that are well suited for making the best driveway gate –
Other materials you will need for the project are-
- Galvanized metal plates/straps for strengthening.
- Wood screws
- Wood glue
- Wood stain/paint
A typical gate consists of stiles, top, bottom, and middle rails (see the plan further below). You will start by making them:
- Measure and cut the stiles, bottom, top, and intermediate rails from your chosen wood type.
- Put the frame together with wood glue and screws and metal sheets (if required ).
- Cut and insert the boards into the frame. Secure them with glue and screws.
- Strengthen the frame by attaching galvanized metal plates on the joints.
- Add metal straps on the edges.
- Install the gates on the posts.
We will go into more detail of different steps of making driveway gates and a few types of them, and there are other types of gate structures available.
Driveway Gate Ideas
Driveway gates come in many types and styles. But the main criteria when choosing your gate are the material and function of the gate; it also depends whether you want to cover a particular zone or the whole yard.
Consider using the classical columns to make your driveway gate a bastion of curb appeal and a subtle suggestion of what lies beyond. Stone pillars will help to enhance the appearance of your driveway gate.
Victorian scroll-work or country wood will make your driveway gate a work of art.
Also, you have to remember that the driveway is the foundation for any gate. We can’t be talking about this project without it. So let’s talk about the DIY considerations for that.
For a successful DIY driveway project, consider your budget, aesthetics desired, the shape of the desired gate, dimensions, local regulations, and maintenance.
‘Gravel’ is the cheapest material for a DIY driveway project. Alternatives for gravel include concrete, asphalt, and paving stone.
It’s an expensive project because it involves not only materials (of which you need tons) and enough effort to get the desired gate and hire heavy equipment paid per hour. Then, using recycled material mostly (such as crushed asphalt or concrete) can reduce the cost to some great extent.
There are a lot of driveway gates available, a few of them are –
- Wooden driveway gate – Cedar and mahogany are the best materials for wooden driveway gates
- Metal driveway gate – The best metal driveway gates have drop bolts, opening/closing latch, adjustable hinges, and an excellent finish.
- Decorative metal gates – Introduce your home in style with a great wrought iron driveway gate. This will offer you security, privacy, and curb appeal.
- Double swing gates – You can make your driveway fence using fiberglass or traditional 2×4 boards.
- Driveway fence gate – You can consider this the most accessible entrance to the building as it doesn’t have to be anything fancy. All you need is an entry through the driveway fence, which can be an extension of it.
- Sliding gate – The main advantage of a sliding gate is that you can make it as complete as you need. There’s no extra space or support for the required entrance, like with swing gates.
Choosing the correct option for the gate remains the essential decision here; when it comes to choosing the best material for a residential driveway gate, there are several vital elements to consider that matter the most-
- Primary functions like style, privacy, security.
- Desired maintenance frequency
- Design options
Wooden, metal (which includes wrought iron, bronze, stainless steel, and aluminum)and composite driveway gates have unique features that will help you determine your decision on which material is the best for your entrance gate and the material that will make your way of operating the gate easy.
How is having a driveway gate beneficial?
- Protect your home
- Add property value
- Convenience and beauty
- Protect your children and pets